Saturday, April 4, 2009

Trial of our patience

I know I am not patient. Brad on the other hand is much more patient (probably because he doesn't spend 24/7 with the kids). So when Brad tells me he is losing patience, I know it must be bad.

Our dear Brylie is learning so much at the wonderful age of 2. We love that she's so smart however, she is to that point where she knows enough to be afraid of things but not enough to be realistic. I have no idea where she found her fear of "buggies" but she will often say "Brylie scared!!" with a wild look in her eyes.

When we put her to bed at night, she has to layer the blankets perfectly on her bed, no folds or crinkles and often 2 or 3. Then she climbs on top of the blankets (messing them up in the process) and has to situate herself into the perfect place, moving up or down a few millimeters until she is at the right spot. Sometimes, she has to start over, in fact, she changes her mind before we can even complete the task.

It wouldn't be so bad if poor Brody weren't in the crib 6 feet away watching all this pan out hoping that we will come pay just as much attention to him as we "must" to her. He almost always is a crying mess when we are done. So then I have to re-tuck him into bed at which point, Brylie realizes we have to start over and fix the blankets.

Leave her to do it alone, you say? Ah, but doing so only makes her the crying mess and in her youth, her motor skills aren't fine tuned enough to get the required results in a time frame I agree with and she is often crying while trying to complete her ritual. By the end of it all, I have to apologize to her and take a break in the back yard when I leave her bedroom because I am fed up with this obsessive nonsense!!

And then I realize, she got this quirk from me.

Sorry Mom and Dad for the obsessive nonsense I put you through. Remember how I HAD to have my socks on just so or else I'd throw a complete fit before school? I'd like to think you are the incredibly patient grandparents you are now because of it!

1 comment:

Jennie Fife said...

My 3 year old has a similar routine but with two blankets, the same two every night, and his stuffed dog. Like you it drives me crazy straightening everything perfectly for him but it is so much better than a tantrum.