Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Blasted Fire Ants!!
So we have been pretty lucky to have avoided fire ants in the 5 or so months we have lived here until today when I decided to let the kids play out in the backyard as a family because it was such nice weather. When all of the sudden I see Brylie whimpering and trying to brush something off her feet. She did have shoes on but when you step dead on to a fire ant hill, they get all over you quickly and start biting. At least that's how I imagine it. So I ran over to her and saw all the ants all over her shoes, socks and legs and picked her up and tried to brush them off. All the while saying, "I don't know what to do Brylie, I don't know what to do!" So I think we got them all off her, I didn't get a bite so I still cannot relate to those of you who have had fire ant bites but poor Brylie can empathize. Here are pictures of the damage and the ruined ant hill!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Poor baby!!! How sad. Try to avoid those like the plague!!!
Poor Brylie! I can sympathize with her on that one. We had them in our yard all the time in San Antonio!
Sorry I jinxed you! those hurt like no other!
Oh my gosh, poor thing! That is the worst when your kids are hurting. I hope she feels better soon!!!
Ouch!! That looks terrible! When I was little my cousin sat in one of those and they got in his diaper! My aunt rushed him to the bathtub to get them all off, but it was so scary!
We miss you guys!!
A handy hose does a great job of getting them all off... Plus when it gets cold it helps with the initial itching/burning until you can slab some benedryl on it!
I sure am sorry Brylie!
Ok, you don't know me, but I stumbled upon your blog via Lindsy. Anyway, I live in South Texas and have lots of experience with fire ants. If that ever happens again (and unfortunately it will), pour vinegar on the bites immediately. It helps SO MUCH. But you have to act quick. I think the acidity of the of the vinegar breaks down the proteins in the ant venom, but don't quote me on that.
Sorry to hear about those ants. Ang has told me how nasty they can be. Sounds like you are loving it out there. I was in Dallas last weekend and thought it was great. We love and miss you guys. Send Brad my love. Keep in touch...Ang and I vist your site all the time. Much Love
Mike
Bless little Byrlie! Fire ants are the WORST. It's bad enough that they bite you, but each bite makes a little white-headed itchy sore pimple... blast those ants! I did a lot of the lawn mowing in Houston and always wore knee-high rubber boots. Playing in the yard is just something we didn't do. Come visit me and play in our lush ant-free grass! Miss you!
Post a Comment