Monday, November 22, 2010

A delicious meal...

...if I don't say so myself! I'm not that great of a cook compared to Brad but unfortunately, I'm the one who does it most of the time so when I found this recipe and it turned out to be really delicious, I wanted to share it. I got it from this blog I really like because she figures recipes out after eating food at restaurants. I changed a few things to suit my family and our tastes. And I can't wait for lunch...it's leftovers for me today!!

Masaman Curry Chicken

1 can Masaman curry paste (you will have to get this at your Asian market)
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 cans coconut milk
1/2 tsp. ginger (you can use fresh, I just used the powder)
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. brown sugar (packed)
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, sliced thin
1 lb. chicken sliced VERY thin (I used partially thawed chicken from the freezer.. it was really easy to slice thin)
4-5 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
2 carrots, peeled, sliced
1-2 Tbsp (heaping) peanut butter (crunchy or creamy.. doesn't matter)
1/2 c. peanuts
Rice, cooked

Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan or wok over medium heat. Stir in curry paste; cook and stir for about 2-3 minutes (make sure your windows are open and a fan is blowing.. this stuff is STRONG). Add 1 can coconut milk and stir until well blended. Add ginger, cilantro, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, and Worcestershire, bring to a boil. Add onion and chicken then reduce to a simmer. When chicken is white and cooked through (about 5 min or so) add another can of coconut milk and bring back to a boil. Add remaining ingredients (except for the rice) and stir until everything is well mixed. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes--until potatoes aren't crunchy in the middle. Serve hot over rice.

The only thing I would do differently is add the coconut milk before the chicken and all the vegetables with the onion and chicken...that way it doesn't take forever to cook the veggies all the way. It was a little thick from simmering for so long. But way delicious!! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Angela Baird said...

MMMM...sounds super yummy! I'll have to try it! And I never saw your halloween pics, and it is pretty dang cute, I have to admit! Nice work! Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! Be missing you!
Love, Ang