Saturday, September 27, 2008

Is it me?

Lately, we have been working on getting Brody to sleep through the night without waking up to eat like normal babies do. He seemed to do well waking only around 1 am and then around 4 am and then waking for the day around when Brylie woke around 7 am. This started to become an issue for me when I worried (there I go again) that Brylie would wake up at one of those times ready and insistent on being awake for the day when in fact, we still had much needed sleep to get. So we struggled through his waking up and then I just moved Brody into our bedroom in the Pack 'n Play so that I didn't have to worry about Brylie. That just left Brad to get less sleep and then have to be in school at full gear all day long and study into the night. And I wasn't getting the most restful sleep either. So I decided to make Brody cry it out. This was 4 days before Brad went back to school in August so we knew we had to make it work and fast. So here we are about 6 weeks later with Brody sleeping in his own bed, Brylie in her own bed, they go to bed at the same time and just have to deal with the other fussing except that they really don't fuss that much...now. Granted, it took about 4 weeks to get Brody to figure out it's easier to go to sleep than cry hoping that he would be rescued, which rarely happened. So now here it is 8:11 pm and both kids are in bed asleep and have been for 1/2 hour and it took Brody about 1 minute to fuss, calm down and go to sleep. My question is, do we just have awesome kids? Or is it me and Brad and our awesome parenting skills? I don't know about you, but I think it's both!

3 comments:

Steffani said...

Way to go you guys. I did the same with my girls and now they go to bed without a problem at all, even Hailey, who is now 3 still knows that it doesn't do any good to argue with mom about bed time. I'm all for the cry it out system. Enjoy your much needed sleep!

Melanie said...

Definitely awesome parenting skills. :) (Ok, and your kids are pretty cute and awesome, too.)

Angela Baird said...

Hooray for kids that go to bed at a reasonable hour and leave the house nice and quiet for you and Brad to just relax! I am sure that it has everything to do with your awesome parenting skills! Take all the credit while you can! Brylie's song video is soooo cute, too! Brody sitting?? Wow! It's so crazy how fast they grow up! Reading your blog makes me feel better, too, because I am kind-of a worrier, too...and I think it's getting worse. Not so fun for me, that's for sure! You are a great mom, Cass!