Monday, February 11, 2008

Getting behind...

Sometimes I feel like I'm totally with it when it comes to housework and motherhood. The house looks good and I would feel semi-comfy if I caught Brylie licking off the kitchen floor, the laundry is done with only a day or so of clothes to be done, or I can feel comfortable when someone drops by unexpectedly because I vacuumed the day before or even that day. It's amazing how closely my self-esteem is tied to these little ridiculous things. For instance, this weekend, Brylie was not feeling well. She had no symptoms but a fever probably due to her recent vaccinations but the whole weekend, all she wanted was to be held in a blanket. And I was very glad to do this because she is almost never cuddly so this was prime opportunity for me to get my fix of baby cuddling with my not-so-cuddly little girl. However, I wasn't able to get my list of chores done that I typically do on a daily basis. I have quite an easy routine that allows me to do everything to keep the house spic and span without doing housework all day long. I rather pride myself on it if you want to know the truth. But I found it very interesting how not vacuuming or dusting or sweeping the kitchen floor made me feel a little depressed. And it's not that Brad didn't do anything to help either. He is very good at picking up the pieces when I'm not able to do it so our house doesn't look like a pigsty at all, but just the fact that I didn't do those things myself made me feel a little down and sluggish. Hopefully Brylie's fever will go away completely and she'll start feeling and acting like herself so that we can get back into the swing of things just in time to let it all go again when the baby brother is born. I've decided that that is what life is like; finally catching up so that you can get behind again. What a roller coaster ride! And I rather enjoy it!!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Cassidy you are amazing! I want to know your secret for keeping your house clean! :-) I try really hard, but now that I'm in school, all that stuff has had to take a back seat. Luckily we do have those amazing husbands to help us out. I understand your feelings though...I just feel more productive and like a better wife and Mommy when my house looks good, my kids are bathed and handsome looking, and I get a good healthy dinner made! ha

Melanie said...

Amen to everything you said! It is a back and forth battle to stay on top of things. I hope Brylie feels better soon!!! And I'll come help clean your house when baby boy comes so you don't feel bad and Brad can help enjoy baby...

Russ and Jill Allen said...

Cass, I was like you until I realized that the 'baby cuddling' days won't last and the house will always be there. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy every minute you have as a mom. Before long you'll have two to share your time with, and funny thing, there is no one who can tell you if your house was clean last Tuesday!

darbie said...

Hey guys! I'm glad I came across your blog! We need to get together with you guys and meet your little girl (and it looks like pretty soon a little boy!) Glad to see you're doing well!

sarahbellac said...

You are a good mom no matter how clean your house...or kids...or hair...is! Of course, this coming from the mom whose home is a current hurricane...
I grew up in a constant hurricane of a house...full of creativity and wonder and exploration...so having a whirlwind house every once in a while could actually be a good thing...! It's always healthy to give yourself a break. Hugs,
Sarah

Angela Baird said...

Cass...I feel your pain! I know I definitely go through my ups and downs of clean house/chaos house, etc. It's a constant struggle, especially when you are balancing it with spending time with your little ones! I hope you are feeling okay! Did you ever end out painting the nursery? I meant to send pics of other things I've seen, but never did. Let me know if you want them. Take care...you are an awesome mom!